Monday, March 21, 2011

Things that go bump in the night...

Last night Gordon and I went to see Things at the Doorstep, two one-man shows about H.P. Lovecraft. The first half was a dramatization of his story "The Hound," and the second was an original show called "I Am Providence," which is the epitaph on Lovecraft's tombstone.  (He was a native Rhode Islander and, except for a brief and unsuccessful stint in Brooklyn, lived there all his life.) This play was about an actor's ill-fated gig in a regional theatre production in Providence, and how it led to his undoing.

Gordon is a huge Lovecraft fan, so I was excited to find something offbeat that he might also love.  We both enjoyed the evening--"The Hound" was a more traditional one-act, very well performed and easy to follow if (like me) you don't know a thing about Lovecraft.  The second act was more experimental, to the point that I wasn't sure we were watching the actual play until halfway through it! (That makes it sound bad, but the transition was clever...still made me feel kind of dumb when I figured it out, though.)

I'm making an effort to make better use of New York this year--it's so easy to fall into the routine of work-home-barn (OK, that last might not be part of your routine, but you get the idea).  This first effort was a success!

No comments: